This race is part of the Grand Mesa Nordic Race Series presented by Empowered Energy Systems. Series races have cash prizes for the first place female and male finisher, and great raffle prizes from Loki, Peach Street Distillery, Ela Family Farms and others.
For the Grand Mesa Classic we’re encouraging skiers to show off their classic vintage style, if they have it. Vintage attire and ski gear are encouraged, but totally optional. This event consists of two parts, a 10km classic ski race and a ~2.4km untimed, casual ski tour for vintage skiers who want to show off their vintage gear, but aren’t up for the full 10km.
The 10km race offers cash prizes for first female and male finisher, as well as a special award for the first finisher on vintage skis (skis must be at least 25 years old to qualify). Race finishers will earn points in the GMNC race series.
In addition to the usual race prizes, there will be special prizes awarded for the following categories (must take part in either the race or tour to be eligible): best vintage skis, best vintage attire, best in show. Judging for these awards will be done by race organizers with input from the crowd at the awards ceremony.
Course details and map will be available the week of January 24th.
Online registration closes Saturday January 29th at 8pm.
- 10k Classic race starts at 11am
- $20 entry fee for members of the GMNC
- $25 entry fee for non members
- the ~2.4km vintage ski tour (not timed) starts immediately after the classic race at 11am
- $10 registration fee to tour for GMNC members
- $15 registration fee for non members
Empowered Energy Race Series Points and Grand Mesa Classic race map are posted above
- We are encouraging participants to register online so there will be a $5 extra charge for day of race registration ($25 for members and $30 for non members)
- Finish times will not be available until the next day
- The race course is subject to race day change if weather dictates.
- The designated race course will be posted at the race registration table and will be marked with course markers on race day, but it is the responsibility of the racer to know and understand the course.
Please follow all public safety guidelines from the CDC, USFS, state of Colorado, and Mesa/Delta Counties. https://health.mesacounty.us/covid19/
NOTE: Road closures do happen on Grand Mesa and there can be weather so nasty even us nordic stalwarts find it necessary to postpone a race. Please check the website or our Facebook page for late breaking news regarding races before heading up.
Series points will be awarded for the first 20 places and we will count points from your best 3 finishes for our series . The Heartthrob relay race does not count towards series points.
1st Place – 20pts. 11th Place – 10pts.
2nd Place – 19pts. 12th Place – 9pts.
3rd Place – 18pts. 13th Place – 8pts.
4th Place – 17pts. 14th Place – 7pts.
5th Place – 16pts. 15th Place – 6pts.
6th Place – 15pts. 16th Place – 5pts.
7th Place – 14pts. 17th Place – 4pts.
8th Place – 13pts. 18th Place – 3pts.
9th Place – 12pts. 19th Place – 2pts.
10th Place – 11pts. 20th Place – 1pt.
Due to popular request, we are going to award age group prizes for the series overall. Series overall age group categories will be awarded for U19, 20 - 29, 30 - 39, 40 - 49, 50 - 59, 60 - 69, 70 - 79, 80+
Series overall standings will be available the week of January 24th.
Vintage ski Tour and Race information
- Vintage tour and race will start after the 10k classic race start
- Vintage tour and race course will be 3.5k long
- Prizes will be awarded for
- 1 vintage finisher (skis need to be at least 25yo to win) Wood ski are encouraged!
- Best in show
- Best vintage wood skis
- Best attire
For any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.